Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The decline and fall of diner culture. When I was last in my hometown for the funeral of a classmate we gathered at the Peter Pan Diner, which is still where it has always been, and still has great fries. Even though Eddy and I had never had so much as a cup of coffee there, it seemed like a fitting remembrance for a lawyer who'd driven a cab for a while. The other Bay Shore diner of note was the Forum, on Montauk Highway. The Forum was fancier, and more expensive, an after Prom hangout. A little further east was the O-co-nee Diner, in East Islip, which was also kinda upscale, for a diner.

Luncheonettes were a different deal. I can't think of one that I've even seen in the last thirty years or so. In Bay Shore there was Hamburger Junction, and there were versions all over the City. I don't know if Chock-Full-O-Nuts qualify-- I think Chock-Full-O-Nuts was just Chock-Full-O-Nuts. You could get a nice slice of datenut bread at Chocks, with a schmeer of cream cheese.



| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?