Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Well hey, Greil Marcus' Real Life Top Ten is back! In his Paris Review interview James Thurber relates an anecdote about Harold Ross which I think of every time I read anything by Marcus:
I once wrote a piece called “The Beast in the Dingle” which everybody took as a parody. Actually it was a conscious attempt to write the story as [Henry] James would have written it. Ross looked at it and said: “Goddamn it, this is too literary; I got only fifteen percent of the allusions.” My wife and I often tried to figure out which were the fifteen percent he could have got.
I'm doing pretty well if I get 15% of any given piece of writing by Greil Marcus; sometimes I think he is actually making 75% of it out of whole cloth, a sort of avant garde experiment in criticism, like Nabokov's Pale Fire.                                       

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?