Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Friday, June 14, 2013

Fridays are Law Days (sometimes) at Outside Counsel, so I thought I'd bring this Gil Thorp storyline to your attention. Two of my principal academic interests are Discovery and the portrayal of lawyers in popular media, and here we have an unusual example of  the two intersecting.* Gil Thorp is a strip about a high school coach. Typically it follows the seasons: fall is football, winter is hoops, and spring is baseball. In the summer different things happen-- for a while Gil's assistant coach solved mysteries. This particular storyline is, believe it or not, baseball related. The sons of the plaintiff's lawyer and the defendant here play on the team together, and this lawsuit is a source of interpersonal conflict. The lawsuit here arises from a slip-and-fall in front of a convenience store. I have to admit, this is the weirdest thing I think I have ever seen in the funnies. I like depositions, and they are at the heart of  American legal process, but if you want to see three panels about why nobody under 50 reads newspapers here it is.

* Another example, for anyone else who finds this interesting-- Hello? Where'd everybody go?-- can be found in the movie about Facebook, The Social Network.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?