Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Thursday, November 06, 2008

I was thinking about David Crosby the other day. Is there, could there be a bigger horse's ass, out of all the notable musicians that came to prominence in the 60's? I suppose Stephen Stills might give him a run for the money, but Crosby was pretty remarkable, particularly when you consider that his overall creative output was so thin. Talented, to be sure. A very talented musician, but mostly what he was good for was backup singing. I happen to like "If I Could Only Remember My Name", but let's face it, it is a pretty slight piece of work, and it took most of Marin County to help him record it. So please excuse me if I take his opinion with a grain of salt, because I can't think of a more ridiculous remark than, ""In a hundred years, when they ask who was the greatest songwriter of the era, it's got to be her or Dylan. I think it's her. And she's a better musician than Bob." I like Joni Mitchell fine, and I particularly admire "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" and "Hejira". No question about it, if your band has Wayne Shorter, Pat Metheny and Jaco Pastorius you are going to sound pretty good. She has good ears, and she has written some standout material, but David Crosby does her no favors with that kind of talk.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?