Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

If for no other reason than to be publicly wrong, I'm going to say that my hunch is that Evan Bayh will be standing on a platform next to Barack Obama when the VP announcement is made. He's not necessarily who I'd pick-- as an old Birch Bayh hand I've followed Evan's positions over his career with some disappointment, although I agree with Scott Lemieux that context is important. "There is no senator more liberal than Bayh in any state more conservative than Indiana," and I guess that should count for something.
Bayh's presence on the ticket adds executive experience and deep Washington connections. I think Indiana could tip-- five of its congressional districts are presently represented by Democrats. I'd rate it a state worth contesting. I also think it's worth noting that Bayh's presence on the ticket would be an olive branch extended to the Clinton wing of the party, and he would help make sell the ticket to the Midwest as a whole, I think. He's not a very exciting pick, but there don't seem to be any exciting picks out there, and in any event it's Obama's job to bring the excitement.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?