Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Champions League final is May 21, Chelsea v. Man U, the first time the match will feature two English teams. Because I am a proud American, any reference to Manchester United must include a comparison to the New York Yankees, and this article presents Chelsea as scrappy underdogs in the tradition of the Mets. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, supporting Man U seems like a bandwagon reaction. I don't want to be like those people who suddenly decided they are Red Sox fans, but on the other hand, Manchester is a gritty post-industrial town, and I could rationalize pulling for them on the basis that their city is more like my city than snooty Chelsea is-- Chelsea is like if the Yankees played in Yorkville. And Manchester really is storied-- how can you hate a team with a history like theirs?

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?