Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Something in me really wants both "The Bob Dylan Encyclopedia" and "Bob Dylan: The Essential Interviews", but I don't expect I'll buy either. This review tempts me, though. How could anybody resist anecdotage like Dylan telling Nate Hentoff: “I don’t think jazz has ever appealed to the younger generation, anyway, I don’t really know who this younger generation is. I don’t think they could get into a jazz club anyway. But jazz is hard to follow; I mean you actually have to like jazz to follow it; and my motto is, never follow anything. I don’t know what the motto of the younger generation is, but I would think they’d have to follow their parents. I mean, what would some parent say to his kid if the kid came home with a glass eye, a Charlie Mingus record and a pocketful of feathers? He’d say, ‘Who are you following?’ And the poor kid would have to stand there with water in his shoes, a bow tie on his ear and soot pouring out of his belly button and say, ‘Jazz. Father, I’ve been following jazz.’ And his father would probably say, ‘Get a broom and clean up all that soot before you go to sleep.’ Then the kid’s mother would tell her friends, ‘Our little Donald, he’s part of the younger generation, you know.’”

I mean, you can hear him saying it, can't you?

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?