Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Thursday, December 01, 2005

I haven't really spent enough time in the tropics to form a sensible opinion, but I have to admit that it was pretty nice looking out the window of the plane when we touched down and seeing palm trees and a lush, verdant landscape. I haven't seen much of the City of St. John because the property I'm here defending is located right in the heart of the resort corridor-- there's an Intercontinental next door on one side, and a Ritz Carlton on the other, and some other pretty deluxe joints around as well. Larded in between are odd little strip malls, like the ones you'd see on the edge of Rehobeth or someplace. I recently read that Puerto Rico has something like 3 million people and two million cars-- an unusually high per capita ratio-- and one consequence of this seems to be that parking is at a big premium. The strip malls and fast food joints all have restricted access lots, with attendants, apparently to prevent people from just parking without shopping.

I can certainly see the appeal of the climate, but I don't know how I'd feel about living in a place where there are people sleeping on the sidewalks at the airport, and I have a feeling that the warm weather might sap my aggression, ambition, and what passes for my work ethic. All travel for me amounts to asking, "Could I live here?" Although I think I could, I am inclined to think that it's better that I not. Since it's a civil code jurisdiction I won't be, so that works out fine.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?