Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Friday, April 30, 2004

Cross-posted from KRAC Blog:

After the Ridge Saturday (but before my nap) I took CLA and LCA to the park to do some soccer drills. We horsed around for a bit, then mosied down to where the rugby players were to watch for a bit. The Buffalo Rugby Club "B" team was playing (the "A" team had gone earlier in the day.) CLA watched, entranced. I don't think she'd ever seen it played before. "Oh. My. Gosh," she said. "I think I have a new favorite sport." It was a pretty impressive display, I must admit, and although I'm sure she'll play rugby sooner or later, I don't think she's done with soccer quite yet.

I thought about this again today when I read this account of the unelected leader of the Free World's version of his college athletic career:

"[A]ccording to presidential adviser Karen Hughes, the president likes to, well, embellish a bit when describing his college athletic career. [F]rom a book review of Hughes' Ten Minutes from Normal:

A strange anecdote about Vladimir Putin's interest in Bush's college days seems to be included so Hughes can mention Bush's underappreciated athleticism: "'President Putin knew you had played rugby, but he didn't have the context. I mean you just played for one semester in college, right?' I said, dismissing it.

"'I played for a year,' the president corrected me, 'and it was the varsity.'"

"Doolittle [the source for the review] offers this correction:

"... The underappreciated athlete couldn't have played varsity rugby because there wasn't any varsity. Because rugby was a club sport."

I'm not sure what the appropriate rugby response to this sort of thing would be, although I'm sure it is something both violent and humiliating. I'll say this, though, whatever it is: I hope CLA does play rugby someday, and that she gets to participate in giving out whatever Bush has coming. (Via Electrolite.)

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?