Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Saturday, February 21, 2004

To Jelly Jar last night, at the Lafayette Tap Room. It's probably been two or three years since I've seen these guys play, and that's probably just about the proper interval-- they're good, but I don't own a copy of "Live at Filmore East" for a reason, and that reason is that I seldom really need to hear "Whipping Post". Something that they are doing now is playing more soul-originated material in a hard rock style, which works better for me than the more boogie based stuff that I associate with their sound. A terrific "Take Me To The River", for example.

I can't remember the last time I've been to the Tap Room-- musta been before it moved, and then moved back. It is an odd experience to be in a smoke-free bar-- a lot of ambiance is lost, particularly in a joint like the Tap Room where the cigarette smoke was always so dense that you could sometimes barely see the person you were talking to. Bars without smoke resemble cafeterias more than is really hip, I think-- there is a lot more Formica in a lot of bars than you'd assume. It was a pleasant outing, made more so by the fact that the set started so early that I was still able to be out in time to have what has become our regular post-ballet practice dinner out with LCA.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?