Super Lawyers
William C. Altreuter
visit superlawyers.com

Sunday, October 19, 2003

Sometime back, we were invited to join the Buffalo chapter of Slow Foods, just as it was getting off the ground. One thing and another meant that we had schedule conflicts, and last night was the first Slow Foods event we have been able to get to. It was Octoberfest, at the Flying Bison brewery, and it was all about the food (and the beer). No oom-pah bands, no colorful Bavarian costumes-- just some outstanding sausage (I think I liked the weisswurst best), a couple of kinds of sauerkraut, red cabbage-- you know, nice light German fare. It was good stuff, and I'm looking forward to doing more with this group.

Part of what Slow Foods is about is the preservation of traditional or heritage foods. This is accomplished, in part, by re-creating a demand for foods that have been crowded out of the market, by increasing awareness of the item. Last night included several heritage apples, a traditional upstate New York crop-- it's funny, but I don't remember the last great apple I had before last night. Mostly I've been getting apples that are okay, but lacking in the crisp yet juicy firm, not mealy quality that an apple is supposed to possess. It shouldn't be too hard to find a decent apple in Western New York, and I'll be making more of an effort. I am also hoping to get on the list for one of the heritage turkeys the group is having raised.

| Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?